Pakistan’s most credible journalists recognized for their work at the annual AGAHI Awards 2017
Pakistan’s most prestigious Agahi Awards recognized best in Pakistani journalism at an award ceremony held in Islamabad on Saturday, December 9.
The ceremony was attended by officials, foreign diplomats, intellectuals and journalists from across the country.
Now in its fifth year, Agahi Awards honours the best journalists across print, TV, radio and digital platforms.
This year AGAHI Awards received more than 3000 nominations from all over the country in 40 different categories from print, television, radio and online media.
The AGAHI Awards received an overwhelming response from the journalists’ community – reaching more than 6 million Pakistanis through social media and almost 1 million through SMS for the Peoples’ Choice Awards categories.
“This year AGAHI Awards celebrates responsibilities’; in 2017 as the nation marks its 70th year of independence – we should recognize the tremendous effort of the journalist community in the creation of this country” Puruesh Chaudhary, President Agahi and the co-founder of the Agahi Awards.
Amir Jahangir, CEO Mishal Pakistan and co-founder, Agahi Awards, in his welcome address said, “Pakistan has completed its 15th year of electronic media deregulation in the country. Aagahi Awards provides that pivot for media to reflect on the professionalism and credible journalism which creates value towards the public.”
Speaking at the occasion, Waqar Ahmad Head of Corporate Affairs, Nestle Pakistan said, “Media has an extremely important role to play in raising awareness on Pakistan’s nutrition and water challenge”.
Winning Journalists of the Year 2017
The AGAHI Awards 2017 Recognized the following “Journalists of the Year” in the following categories:
Peoples’ Choice Awards
- Kashif Abbasi, ARY News (Most Credible Anchor of the Year),
- Shazaib Khanzada, GEO News (Peoples’ Choice Awards: Favorite Current Affairs Anchor – Male)
- Ayesha Baksh, GEO News (Peoples’ Choice Awards: Favorite Current Affairs Anchor – Female)
- ARY News (Peoples’ Choice Awards: Favorite News Channel of the Year)
- Zara Hut Kay, DAWN Media Group (Jury’s Choice for the Current Affairs Program of the Year)
- Mazhar Nisar Sheikh PTV World/PBC (Newscaster of the Year)
- Hassan Raza, Dunya News Network (Investigative Journalists of the Year)
Electronic, Print and Digital Media awards by jury
- Islam Gul Afridi, Akhbar-e-Khayber (Agriculture)
- Yousaf Ajab Baloch, Balochistan Point (Anti-Corruption)
- Adil Pervez, GEO News (Business & Finance)
- Shabina Faraz, Express (Climate Change)
- Murtaza Zaib, VOA Urdu (Competitiveness)
- Rehan Muhammad, Tribal Post (Conflict)
- Adil Pervez, GEO News (Corporate Social Responsibility)
- Raja Kamran, DAWN Media Group (CPEC)
- Naimat Khan, Friday Times (Creating Shared Value)
- Sana Jamal, Gulf News (Culture & Tourism)
- Usman Hanif, Pakistan Today (Economy)
- Abdul Salam Afridi, News Lens (Education)
- Shazia Hassan, Dawn Media Group (Energy)
- Fouzia Zeb, 92 News (Entrepreneurship)
- Naimat Khan, AF-KAR Affairs (Extremism and Terrorism)
- Saadat Hassan, Regional Rapport (Foreign Policy)
- Saadat Hassan, IRAS (Foresight and Futures)
- Rizwana Naqvi, DAWN.com (Governance)
- Zareef Balouch, Haal Ahwal (Health)
- Syed Babar Ali, Express Tribune (Human Rights)
- Sana Jamal, Gulf News (Information Communication Technology)
- Zahid Gill, GEO TV (Infotainment)
- Mahrukh Sarwar, MIT Technology Review (Innovative Journalism)
- Syed Babar Ali, Express (Media Ethics)
- Syed Miqdad Mehdi, The Nation (Nutrition)
- Hasham Cheema, DAWN Media Group (Open Government)
- Zoral Khurram, Express Tribune (Photo Journalism – Print)
- Narendar Kumar, Express Tribune (Video Journalism – Television)
- Sana Ejaz, News Lens (Sexual & Reproductive Health Rights – SRHR)
- Arsalan Sheikh, DAWN Media Group (Sports)
- Syed Muhammad Abu Bakar, The News International (Sustainable Development Goals – SDGs)
- Naeem Sahoutara, KBR, Jakarta (South Asia Bridge Initiative – SABI)
- Abdul Salam Afridi, News Lens (Vocational Training & Technical Education)
- Samiullah Randhawa, Pakistan Today (Water Stewardship)