Latest on TVI
Army Chief visits Parachinar victims as protest enters eighth day

Army Chief visits Parachinar victims as protest enters eighth day

COAS to offer condolences to the bereaved families of Parachinar attack victims

Chief of Army Staff General Qamar Javed Bajwa has visited Parachinar for offering condolences to the bereaved families of victims of terrorist attack.

Parachinar blast happened some days back in the run up to Eid-ul-Fitr, where around hundred people were killed and dozens injured.

Thousands of grieving families and relatives are continuously protesting against the twin blasts since the blast day and demanding safety and protection for all.

According to military’s media wing, Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR),” Army Chief was briefed on the security situation and updated on the Parachinar incident. He will meet the tribal elders later in the day”.

It should be mentioned here that Army chief Gen Qamar Javed Bajwa was due to visit the area two days ago, but he had to postpone his visit to Kurram Agency due to inclement weather.

The ISPR stated that the army chief also met with the ulemas of various sects and said that it did not matter which sect the martyrs or the injured belonged to. They held equal importance and significance for Pakistan Army.

The protest from members of the Shia community continues on the eighth day, Friday, Business centers across Parachinar have been closed down since the attacks demanding safety and protection for all.

“We are tired of picking up the dead bodies of our people,” said Arshad Umerzai, a former provincial government minister, Reuters reported.

Arshad Umerzai urged the prime minister and army chief to visit Parachinar, in response to the violence the town has suffered.

On Thursday, Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif announced compensation money for the families of people killed and those who were injured in the Parachinar blasts on June 23.

As per the announcement, Rs1 million would be given to the families of people killed in the blasts while Rs0.5 million has been announced for the people who received injuries due to the explosions.

About Saqlain Naqvi

Saqlain Naqvi is an Islamabad-based journalist who has also worked in PR sector previously.
Copyright © 2018 TVI