Three persons including man with his child swept away into the floodwater
The devastating flood in the Canadian province of Quebec has forced nearly 1,900 people to evacuate their homes in 126 municipalities.
The province is suffering from its highest floodwaters in decades. Provincial authorities in Quebec declares state emergency as historic level of flooding forces thousands to evacuate their homes.
According to the spokesman for the Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness Ministry, the swelling rivers caused untold damage to homes and buildings and a man was swept away with his child into the rising water in the Gaspésie area of Quebec.
Canadian National Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale said 450 troops are on the ground across the province and that number is increasing.
Meanwhile, Mayor Denis Coderre in his early morning news conference declared a 48-hour state of emergency for the island of Montreal which is largest city of the province.
“The city of Montreal is declaring a state of emergency due to flooding,” Coderre announced shortly after 1 p.m. Sunday. The mayor said the decision was made after three dams gave way in Pierrefonds, therethe situation was worsening quickly in Ahuntsic-Cartierville.
A total of 173 homes had been evacuated on Monteal Island by Sunday morning, including all the homes on Île Mercier. Canadian Armed Forces personnel are setting up command posts in Rigaud, Laval and Pierrefonds.
The floodwaters, the worst in decades, were expected to peak on Monday afternoon, said Quebec Public Safety Minister Martin Coiteux.
Police in the eastern Gaspe region reported that “the two persons were in the car with the toddler’s mother when the sudden flooding forced their vehicle to swerve”.
Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness Minister Ralph Goodale said, Canadian Armed Forces deployed 1,200 personnel over the past weekend, and an additional 300 personnel are on their way. Some additional 150 support personnel will back up the troops.