|Country of origin:
|Source of Wealth:
His songs are played on all dancefloors and parties of the young generation and almost everyone knows his name: that’s Avicii. The young DJ not only has a huge fan base, but also an exciting life.
Avicii was born on September 8, 1989 in Stockholm, the capital of Sweden. His parents are a manager and an actress, he has several siblings. Before the introverted Swede became the top EDM artist, he had a comparatively quiet youth. Childhood friends included his later fellow musicians Otto Knows and Alesso.
Today, Avicii is known as a musician, DJ and producer. However, he never learned to play an instrument as a child. Instead, he made his first DJ experiences by remixing intros of his favorite computer games. Avicii named Axwell, Daft Punk and Eric Prydz as musical inspirations.
At the age of sixteen, Avicii recorded his first house songs using guitar and computer. He first shared them on Myspace a few years later, choosing the name Avicii for the first time. The real name of the DJ is Tim Bergling – the stage name comes from avici, the lowest level of the underworld in Buddhism.
From a young age, Avicii was constantly sending out demos to various labels hoping to be discovered. In 2008 he finally got his long-awaited first record deal and in the following year he was allowed to make his first appearances at a festival and in nightclubs. But the real breakthrough came in 2011 with the song “Levels”.
In 2013, Avicii released his debut album, True, which includes the world-renowned single, Wake Me Up. This album was followed by “Stories” in 2015 and the EP “Avici” in 2017. The DJ performed at major festivals and performed two world tours before retiring from the stage in 2016. This was due to health problems. However, Avicii announced a comeback for 2018 and continued to work steadily on new music.
But the hoped-for comeback did not come about. Avicii was found dead in Oman on April 20, 2018. A statement from his family indicates that the then 28-year-old musician committed suicide. In 2019 the album “TIM” was released posthumously, completed by the musicians Avicii worked with during his lifetime.
The first highlight of Avicii’s career was his breakthrough song Levels, which he released in 2011. The song was first played at Avicii’s first Tomorrowland performance and quickly became an international hit. In Sweden, “Levels” reached number one status and the song is well known here too.
Even more successful was the single “Wake Me Up”, released in 2013, to which singer Aloe Blacc contributed the vocals. Avicii not only received an Echo for this song, but he even wrote music history with record sales. To date, “Wake Me Up” is one of the best-selling singles of all time.
Avicii’s biggest hits also include 2015’s “Waiting For Love,” which was a #1 hit in five countries, and 2017’s “Without You.” The young DJ has been nominated for a Grammy twice over the course of his career nominated, he even received his own documentary titled “Avicii: True Stories” in 2017.
– Dance music is like a virus, it changed so many genres. (Dance music is like a virus: it has changed so many genres.)
– When I started out, I was Avici with one i, but on Myspace that name was taken. (When I started I was Avici with an i, but that was taken on Myspace.)
– There’s always haters, no matter what you’re doing. (There are always haters no matter what you do.)
– If you compare yourself to the charts, you lose perspective on what you’re doing and why you’re doing it. (If you compare yourself to the charts, you lose sight of what you’re doing and why.)
– Some people get inspired by a feeling, but I’m mostly inspired by melodies. (Some people are inspired by a feeling, but I’m mostly inspired by melody.)
– I have always been mainstream. It’s so weird, because I don’t see it as something negative at all.
– Singer Leona Lewis used the song “Penguin” composed by Avicii in her song “Collide”. At the time, he had to obtain a court order to have his name on the cover as well.
– Avicii was an advertiser for Ralph Lauren and said of himself that he already liked wearing clothes from this brand.
– In Avicii’s last years it turned out that he was addicted to painkillers and was drinking excessively, but he could not fight the addiction.
– During his lifetime, the young DJ was known for numerous collaborations with greats in the music business, including Coldplay’s Chris Martin, Armin van Buuren, Madonna and David Guetta.
– The Tim Bergling Foundation, founded by Avicii’s family, focuses on suicide prevention and mental health education.
– Avicii was heavily involved in the fight against world hunger and poverty.