India’s Ministry of External Affairs called China’s demand of withdrawal from Galwan Valley as “exaggerated”
China wants the Indian Army to vacate most parts of Galwan Valley and only maintain its presence in the Galwan Estuary as the two sides expressed their hopes for peace in the future. China’s stance clearly is different on the Line of Actual Control’s (LAC) demarcation.
China’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs said that India should take responsibility for the earlier battle and punish those involved. “India should bear full responsibility for the incident that was solely and completely triggered by its breach of consensus and unilateral provocations” and “demanded the Indian side severely punish those who should be held accountable, strictly discipline its front line troops so as to ensure that such incidents do not happen again.”
Zhao Lijian, the spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs added that the Indians violated the earlier decided upon matters but not only trespassing on the Chinese side but also trying to dismantle their observatory post.
India’s Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) called China’s claim about the LAC as “exaggerated” and “untenable” in an earlier statement. They also said in a statement that the two sides “discussed in detail the developments in the India-China border areas, in particular, the situation in Eastern Ladakh.” India “conveyed its concerns” on the June 15 face-off that claimed the lives of 20 Indian soldiers and “emphasized that both sides should strictly respect and observe the Line of Actual Control (LAC)”, it stated.
The two sides have been trying to deescalate tensions after skirmished earlier in the month. At least 20 Indian soldiers were killed in stone-pelting and fist fighting with the Chinese soldiers including a colonel. These were the first deaths on the India-China border in several decades. Russia is taking an active part in removing the tensions between the two sides.