Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian called the news of killing of PLA soldier “false information”
China has strongly denied India’s claim that it lost forty soldiers in a fistfight with the Indians. At least 20 Indian soldiers were killed by Chinese troops in stone-pelting and hand to hand battle between the two sides earlier in the month as tension in Ladakh soared higher.
Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian called it false information. “I can tell you responsibly that it is false information,” Zhao said.
He also said that the two sides are looking to manage the situation and are looking forward to dialogue to promote peace in the region.
“The meeting indicated that China and India are willing to appropriately handle the disputes through dialogue, manage the situations, and lower tensions,” Zhao said. “We also agreed to continue the dialogue and work together to promote peace and stability in the border areas.”
Russia is also trying to help in easing tensions between the two countries. On Tuesday, foreign ministers of China, Russia, and India engaged in a several hours long teleconference to discuss the matter. Talking about the meetings, later on, the Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Moscow would not interfere in the dispute between China and India.
“We never had a goal to help India and China develop their bilateral ties. India and China have every opportunity to tackle and solve any problems in relations between them,” he was quoted as saying in a report by Associated Press.
The current meetings will likely lower the temperature between the two sides. The recent deaths were the first in decades between the two sides that do not use arms during border conflicts. China claims several areas under Indian control as its own. Currently, China has occupied 60 sq.km area that was under Indian control previously.