|Country of origin:
|Source of Wealth:
If you talk about YouTubers, you also have to talk about Gronkh. With several million subscribers as well as a lot of wit and warmth, the Braunschweig native pushed and revolutionized the gaming scene.
Gronkh was born in April 1977 in Braunschweig, Lower Saxony. His real name is Erik Range, so his pseudonym has nothing to do with his real name. The mother of the later YouTube star comes from Russia, the father is German. Gronkh has an older brother and was already enthusiastic about computer games as a child, which would later become his profession.
After school, Gronkh did community service in a kindergarten and then got his technical diploma. This was followed by training as a computer scientist. At the age of nineteen, the young man founded an Internet programming and web design agency, later he switched to MDO Games. In the 2000s and late 90s, Gronkh initially earned his money as a game developer, programmer and graphic designer.
Gronkh founded his YouTube channel in 2006, but has only been uploading videos there since 2010. On the channel, he mainly publishes Let’s Play videos in which he plays and comments on video and computer games. He is notable for his sense of humour. His Minecraft Let’s Play was particularly well received by the viewers. The idea for this format came to Gronkh because he wanted to publish reviews of games. He now also has his own channels for RPGs or retro games, for example.
While working as a game master at Meridian 59, Gronkh met the YouTuber Sarazar (born Valentin Rahmel). Together with him he now runs the Superhomies channel, where they document trips and try local food. Gronkh and Sarazar also founded the company PlayMassive GmbH, which operates a portal for PC games journalism, among other things. In 2015 they released the dungeon game “Looterkings”.
In 2014, Gronkh reached the milestone of one billion views on his channel. He then also appeared in the television and cinema business. The YouTuber had several appearances in Neo Magazin Royale in 2018 and 2019 and took on various dubbing roles in games and films. These include “The Witcher 3”, “Alien Covenant”, “Planet of the Apes: Survival” and “Spider Man: A New Universe”.
Gronkh’s biggest success was probably his Minecraft Let’s Play. It was released over a period of several years and has more than 1200 episodes. The first episode alone was viewed 14 million times, and the series was extremely popular from the start. The web show “Last Man Standing” enjoys similar notoriety, in which several YouTubers play against each other. The live stream of the event had one million viewers.
From 2012 to 2014, Gronkh ran the web show “Let’s Play Together” together with Sarazar. An XXL episode with 4000 viewers was even broadcast live from Gamescom 2013. Later, the Let’s Play to the video game “Dead by Daylight” became extremely popular, which Gronkh played together with the YouTubers Pandorya, Tobinator, HerrCurrywurst. They aired 99 episodes in six months.
In total, Gronkh has almost 5 million subscribers today. For two years he was the most subscribed YouTuber in Germany, and he is still at the top of the rankings today. In 2014 he was inducted into the Hall of Fame of the Berlin Computer Games Museum to honor his fame in the German gaming scene. For the same reason, Gronkh received a national honorable mention at the web video awards the following year.
– “Sometimes you feel like iron in the wall. You can’t go forward in life, you can’t go backwards and you feel forgotten by everyone.”
– “Often it seems as if the ‘bad guys’ are the ones you least expect, the ones who are supposed to protect us, who are supposed to be there for us.”
– “No matter what low point you are at, as long as you don’t forget how to laugh, life is beautiful.”
– “This country needs more air to breathe.”
– The name “Gronkh” is Erik Range’s own invention and has no real meaning. The word has been patented since 2012.
– Gronkh hosted a poker show several times, but later resigned as he did not want to promote gambling.
– As a teenager, Gronkh was active in hip-hop under the pseudonym “das e”.
– The “Friendly Fire” live stream conducted by Gronkh is a fundraiser that has already supported many charitable projects such as cancer relief, animal welfare organizations or depression relief.
– When he reached 200 subscribers, Gronkh covered “The Best” of Silvermoon on his channel as a special video.