|Estimated value:||€165 million|
|Country of origin:||United States of America|
|Source of Wealth:||actor|
Who doesn’t know the eccentric, headstrong pirate captain Jack Sparrow, played by Johnny Depp in five films so far? But the American actor can do so much more than just drinking and sailing.
Johnny Depp was born in Owensboro, Kentucky in June 1963 and his real name is John Christopher. His father was an engineer and his mother was a waitress. Depp adores the latter so much that he even has her name tattooed on his arm. He also has two sisters and a brother, all of whom are older than him. The family ancestors are German, Irish and Cherokee.
After many childhood moves, Depp’s family finally settled in Florida. When he was a teenager, his parents divorced. This caused a lot of problems for Johnny Depp. He became a criminal, self-harmed and took drugs. At the age of fifteen, the boy finally dropped out of school and made his way to Hollywood, where he wanted to pursue his dream.
However, this initially consisted of becoming a successful musician. It was through his older brother that Depp came up with the idea of teaching himself to play the guitar. At the age of thirteen he formed his first band “Flame” and performed illegally in nightclubs. In Florida, the group became known locally as an opening and cover act. However, the time as a musician created money problems and Johnny Depp decided to pay off for acting.
Johnny Depp starred in his first well-known film in 1984 when his friend Nicolas Cage suggested him for an audition. In “A Nightmare On Elm Street” Depp had his first role, which was followed by other supporting characters. From 1987 he starred in the series “21 Jump Street”, which made Johnny Depp a teen star. To break away from this reputation, he took acting lessons in the late 1990s and sought out profound films.
The first major cinema successes were “Cry-Baby” and “Edward Scissorhands” in 1990. The latter was also Depp’s first collaboration with director Tim Burton. Other starring roles followed, including Gilbert Grape and Don Juan DeMarco. In 1997 Johnny Depp tried his hand at directing for the first time, the film “The Brave” was even nominated for the Palme d’Or.
Over the next few years, Depp became a character actor for eccentric, difficult characters. These included Willy Wonka in the 2005 remake of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, criminal John Dillinger in 2009’s Public Enemies, and the Mad Hatter in Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland the following year. His most famous role, however, is that of Jack Sparrow in the five-part series Pirates of the Caribbean.
Johnny Depp has been nominated for a total of three Oscars and nine Golden Globes, has been named Sexiest Man Alive twice and has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. And this success came early: Depp’s first major hit was the series “21 Jump Street”, in which he played a young police officer from 1987 to 1990. In 1990, he was nominated for a Golden Globe for Best Actor in Edward Scissorhands.
In 2008, Depp was nominated for an Oscar as Sweeney Todd in the musical adaptation of the same name. A Golden Globe was also up for discussion for this leading role. Since then, Johnny Depp has been one of the highest paid actors in the world and even topped the Forbes list in his industry in 2010. This year he also landed a new cinema success with the film adaptation of “Alice in Wonderland”.
But Johnny Depp’s best-known role is that of the eccentric, rum-loving pirate captain Jack Sparrow in the five-part film series Pirates of the Caribbean. The first part in 2003 brought in 650 million dollars, the second even more than a billion. Johnny Depp received several awards for his performance as Jack Sparrow.
– “Laugh as much as you can breathe and love as long as you live.”
– “In life there are only four questions that count. what is sacred What is the soul made of? What are we living for and what is worth dying for? The answer to each question is the same. only love.”
– “My friends think I’m crazy. But I’m not. I’m just who they would be if they weren’t so scared.”
– “I believe the right way is to enjoy the ride while it lasts.”
– Johnny Depp owns his own island in the Bahamas. A stretch of beach is named after Heath Ledger.
– The actor has been engaged five times, including to Kate Moss and Winona Ryder. On the other hand, he doesn’t like movie kisses at all.
– Depp is a co-owner of a Tibetan restaurant in Paris.
– At the age of twelve he tried his hand at breathing fire. Instead of a disfigured face, he only has slight scars from an accident, because a friend helped him in good time.
– Johnny Depp hated 21 Jump Street’s teen image and even tried to get the team to fire him.
|Estimated value:||€165 million|