|Country of origin:
|Source of Wealth:
Klaas Heufer-Umlauf is best known as part of the inseparable duo Joko & Klaas, which has ruled German television for years. But he can also offer a lot of entertainment on his own.
Klaas Heufer-Umlauf was born in September 1983 in Oldenburg, Lower Saxony. According to his own statements, he has Polish and German roots. Heufer-Umlauf was able to gain his first theater experiences in his youth, where he learned to act at school.
After attending a secondary school, Heufer-Umlauf did his community service in the geriatric department of a Cologne hospital. He began training as a hairdresser and worked, among other things, as a make-up artist in Weimar. During this time, Klaas Heufer-Umlauf played several roles at the Oldenburg State Theater.
In 2004, Heufer-Umlauf finally joined VIVA and thus began his television career. At this station he moderated, among other things, “VIVA Live”, the “Retro Charts” or the program “Klaas & Wochenshow”. There was also a new radio column at Bremen Vier, which Heufer-Umlauf speaks weekly.
Klaas Heufer-Umlauf’s career began at MTV, where he moderated the program “MTV Home” from 2009 to 2011. He was supported by his colleague and friend Joko Winterscheidt. Heufer-Umlauf had brief success with the show “Superspots” in 2009, until he began working with Winterscheidt on numerous shows the following year. These include “17 meters” and “Clueless”.
2011 was an interesting year for Klaas Heufer-Umlauf. Not only did he go on tour with an improv-satire show together with Jan Böhmermann and got a cameo appearance in the film “Rubbeldiekatz”, he even founded a company. The production company Florida TV is managed by Winterscheidt, Heufer-Umlauf and Endemol and today produces all of their programs. In 2011, the successor to “MTV Home” also started with “neoParadise”.
In the years that followed, Heufer-Umlauf and Winterscheidt started numerous TV shows. This includes not only the highly successful entertainment show “Circus HalliGalli” from 2013 to 2017, but also the game show “Joko vs. Klaas – The Duel Around the World”, which has been running since 2012. In “Joko and Klaas against ProSieben” the two compete against their employer.
But Klaas Heufer-Umlauf does not miss out on his own projects either. He has been presenting his own late night show “Late Night Berlin” since 2018. Before that, Heufer-Umlauf had founded the band Gloria in 2013, which consists of him and Mark Tavassol, the former bassist of Wir sind Helden. Gloria has released several albums.
Together with Joko Winterscheidt, Klaas Heufer-Umlauf became a TV icon. That’s why it’s mainly their joint programs like the game show “Das Duell um die Welt” that made Heufer-Umlauf successful. In 2012, right at the start of the show, Winterscheidt and Heufer-Umlauf were awarded the “Men of the Year” prizes and the German Television Prize for Entertainment.
The entertainment show “Circus HalliGalli”, which was presented by Winterscheidt and Heufer-Umlauf between 2013 and 2017, was also extremely successful. The show has received several awards, including an Echo and the Grimme Prize in 2014. “Circus HalliGalli” ran for five seasons and received the highest ratings.
His own television project, the late night talk show “Late Night Berlin”, is a similar success for Heufer-Umlauf. It has been running since 2018 with numerous prominent guests and good ratings. Another solo work is Heufer-Umlauf’s band Gloria, which scores with thoughtful, rather serious lyrics. Gloria was already able to place itself in the charts with the debut album in 2013.
– “Joko is the brother I never wanted. With siblings, you don’t question whether you like each other or not.”
– “I am surprised at what I am afraid of.”
– “Depression is not a character flaw, it is not a matter of parenting, nor is it the way someone is.”
– “No shitstorm can ever be as bad as the applause of people who also clap when a refugee boat with 800 people sinks in the Mediterranean.”
– “You used to be punk if you wanted to provoke, today you are a patriot.”
– Heufer-Umlauf attaches great importance to social commitment and supports, among other things, leukemia sufferers, illiterates, depressives and the issue of organ donation.
– The moderator calls himself a perfectionist and relates this to both his appearance and his work.
– In the 2013/14 election season, Heufer-Umlauf actively supported the SPD.
– He competed several times in TV Total High Diving and at the Wok World Championships.
– Heufer-Umlauf keeps his private life secret, but lives with his family in Berlin.